top of page
  • kirsammat0

When can I change my Medicare plan and enroll?

Happy Fall everyone. AEP is fast approaching. This stands for annual enrollment period. It last from October 15 to December 7 ever year. During this period you can change, review and update your plans.

There are several other periods that you should be aware of as it relates to gaining access to Medicare plans.

1.     Initial Enrollment Period

When you turn 65, you can enroll in a Medicare plan. You have a seven-month window to join during this period — from three months before the month you turn 65, through your birthday month and to three months after the month you turn 65.

2.     Medicare Supplement Open Enrollment Period

If you’re looking to supplement your Original Medicare coverage to help with additional costs, the best time to buy a Medicare Supplement plan is during the six-month enrollment period that starts the first day of the month you turn 65 — as long as you have signed up for Medicare Part B.

3.     General Enrollment Period

You can sign up for Part A and/or Part B between January 1 and March 31 each year if both of these conditions apply:

  • You did not sign up when first eligible.

  • You are not eligible for a Special Enrollment Period

Your coverage starts July 1. And you may be subject to penalties.

4.    Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period

This starts January 1 through March 31 annually. If you have a new Medicare Advantage plan, you can make a one-time election to go to either another Medicare Advantage plan with or without prescription drug coverage or Original Medicare. You’ll also be able to enroll in a Medicare prescription drug plan.

5.     Special Enrollment Period

Special Enrollment Period (SEP), you can join, switch or drop a Medicare Advantage or prescription drug plan outside the basic enrollment periods. In order to qualify for an SEP, certain events must occur that require you to change your coverage. Common scenarios include:

  • You move out of your plan’s service area.

  • You move back to the U.S. after living abroad.

  • You move into or out of a skilled nursing facility, psychiatric facility, rehab hospital or long-term care facility.

  • Your employment or your employer-provided plan ends.

You can reach me at

27 views0 comments


bottom of page